with Shiatsu Therapy
Optimize your health with a relaxing Shiatsu session at Maui Shiatsu Therapy. Shiatsu is one of the oldest forms of alternative therapies used to assist with health and well – being. Enjoy a complete body treatment that balances and revitalizes all the systems of the body. Following a Shiatsu treatment, one is left feeling deeply relaxed, energized and refreshed.
Following a Shiatsu treatment, you will experience:
- softening of muscular tension
- relief of fatigue
- stimulated circulation
- rejuvenation of the systems of the body
- relaxation of the whole body
- stress reduction and pain management
- release of toxins from the body
- calming of the nervous system
Not only will you receive benefits with one treatment, ongoing treatments offer a way for you to prevent disease, increase your flexibility, reduces mental anxiety, balances chi (life force), and improves all vital systems in your body, mind and spirit.
Learn more about the characteristics of Shiatsu Therapy.
How Shiatsu Works
Shiatsu translated means “finger pressure.” It is a form of deep pressure point therapy involving the application of thumb pressure to specific points throughout the body. Fundamentally Shiatsu is quite simple. It relies on the proper application of carefully judged pressure to specific points on the surface throughout the whole body to eliminate fatigue and stimulate the body’s natural self – curative abilities. Pressure is applied primarily with thumb pressure. The Japanese word shiatsu is composed of a character meaning finger (shi) and another character meaning pressure (atsu). Learn about the acupuncture points used in Shiatsu.
A kind of Shiatsu has probably been practiced by human beings since the very dawn of humanity itself. When a part of the body is sluggish or in pain, the natural reaction is to press or rub it with the hands. This reaction is probably the true origin of Shiatsu therapy. But over many years of diligent study and research, such instinctive treatment has been scientifically systematized and improved to become a therapeutic method adjusted to the demands of a variety of ailments.
Learn more About Shiatsu.
About Bruce Cary, Licensed Shiatsu Therapist
Bruce Cary has been practicing the Namikoshi style of Shiatsu Therapy since 1985 after graduating from the Aisen Shiatsu School where he received his training from his Sensei, Fumihiko Indei. Under his watchful eye, Bruce developed a sensitivity and strength that has allowed him to treat a variety of conditions with knowledge and compassion. After training with his Sensei in Honolulu, Hawaii for two years, he was called upon to establish a Shiatsu clinic on the Island of Maui. He was given the opportunity to work in many different settings including a Chiropractic office for 10 years. This then led him to become the owner and Spa Director of Makena Massage at a large resort facility in South Maui while maintaining his practice in Wailuku, where he is currently located.
Along with extensive training in Shiatsu Therapy, Bruce brings to each session an ability to draw upon other modalities such as Somatic Movement Education, Thai Medical Massage, Foot Reflexology and Hawaiian Lomi Lomi. While each session is different, the Namikoshi style of Shiatsu treats the entire body while concentrating on the client’s specific complaint.
Find out Why Shiatsu Works.
Preparing for Your Treatment
There is very little required of you prior to receiving a Shiatsu treatment but we do recommend the following guidelines:
- Eat lightly or not at all for an hour prior to treatment.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol or drugs (other than those prescribed) on the day of treatment.
- Wear loose comfortable clothing. No oils are used in the treatment so you will remain fully clothed.
- Be prepared to provide your therapist with any relevant medical information; i.e. history of illness or accidents, operations and other pertinent conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis, current medications, etc. Describe any current conditions as fully as possible, i.e. a stiff neck, sore lower back, headaches, current condition, etc.
- Shiatsu treatments are performed on a wide, short deep tissue massage table.
If you are ready to schedule your appointment with Maui Shiatsu Therapy, please contact us.